Since it became several decades ago one of the most desired destinations on the planet, the Island of the Gods has not stopped changing, surprising with its incredible ability to reinvent itself. Sometimes for the better, many others unfortunately for the worse. It will be up to you to decide which side of the scale to place Canggu, the most fashionable place in Bali. What until just a few years ago was a small town surrounded by rice fields, is today the favorite place among surfers, yogis, digital nomads and influencers. Do not stop reading because we will tell you below the best things to see and do in Canggu.
1. Surf. From pros to begginners in Canggu everyone has space to practice this sport. Of course, each one in their specific space. Experts will be able to enjoy fun sessions in Echo beach. Those with an intermediate level will find on the beach of Batu bolong your perfect wave on the Old Man’s breaker. And beginners have a good number of schools to choose from right on Batu Bolong beach with lessons and board rentals at a good price.
You can find these and other beaches in our article on “the best beaches in Bali (for surfing and bathing).”
2. Connect with your inner self practicing yoga and meditation. Although Ubud has traditionally been the place chosen by the yogis who came to Bali, more and more are those who opt for the New prestigious Canggu Yoga Schools. With daily classes for beginners and advanced, The Practice Y Samadi Bali are two of the best examples of it.
3. And after an intense yoga class or a fun surf session … why not treat yourself to a full breakfast in the purest healthy Canggu style? Toast with eggs and avocado, bowls of whipped fruit with granola and seeds, pancakes, tropical juices … The list of delicacies for those who love this food is endless! There are tons of rich sites, but I recommend these two: Motion cafe Y Crate Cafe.
4. And because you don’t just live on breakfasts (although I could do it!;))… Eat a good Nasi Campur, one of the star dishes of Indonesian cuisine. In addition to plenty of more western-style vegetarian, vegan and healthy food restaurants, in Canggu you can also find good ones warungs (typical Indonesian and Malaysian family restaurants). Because one of the best things to do in Canggu is to taste the delicious local food.
Some of these mythical warungs, all of them on the main street of Canggu, are:
- Varuna (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.89)
- Bu mi (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.52)
- Jaba (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.40A)
- Dandelion (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.10)
Do not miss either the vegan Nasi Campur from Give Cafe, where the money raised goes to charities. You decide by inserting a wooden coin in an urn, where you want the money you paid for your food to go. Also, not many know it, but every day from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. all the ingredients you choose for your Nasi Campur will cost you 50% of their original price.
5. Take a shortcut which may turn out to be the longest of your entire life. Ok, said like that, it doesn’t sound like one of the best things to do in a place … But you won’t be able to say that you know Canggu if you haven’t been there. famous shortcut connecting Berawa with Batu Bolong. So much fame for a simple shortcut? It turns out that this small road that winds its way through rice fields, it should be one-way. And I say “should” because it really isn’t. So what in principle would be a good resource to save time, can sometimes become a traffic jam more typical of a large metropolis, with cars and motorcycles trying to circulate in both directions and with the most surreal scenes. We already told you that not all the changes were positive!
6. For many the coast of Bali is synonymous with HOLIDAYS (yes, with capital letters!). And for them (and not only) enjoy a sunny day, beach and relaxation is undoubtedly one of the best things to do in Canggu. The beaches of Berawa, Echo beach Y Batu bolong they are the most popular with travelers. All of them from black sand, each one has its own personality … different styles, for different tastes.
7. Drop by Old Man’s. If there is a place in Canggu that everyone knows, that is undoubtedly the mythical Old Mans. A quiet brewery during the day where you can eat some simple dishes and drink a very fresh Bintang near the sea, which transforms at sunset with its savages night parties. Especially fun on Wednesday nights that start with their famous beer pong.
8. One of the best things to see and do in Canggu is to enjoy every day of its beautiful sunsets, and the beach is THE PLACE to do it. While watching the sun go down, nothing better than having a beer or a refreshing young coconut in one of the many bars that you will find on the beach. For those looking for something a little more luxurious than a bean bag chair in the sand, The breeze, The lagoon, or The Lawn they are perfect beach clubs for them.
9. Another place to see spectacular sunsets is Tanah Lot. Visit this ancient hindu temple perched on a towering rock on the southern coast of Bali, very close to Canggu. Tanah Lot is one of the most famous, visited and photographed places in all of Bali … so be prepared to be in the company of hundreds of tourists, but the place is worth it 😉
10. It is likely that in Canggu you forget on more than one occasion that you are in Asia … but you are! And like any place in Southeast Asia worth its salt, here you will also find the typical daily fruit and vegetable markets and everything you need to meet the demands of Balinese kitchens. Open from dawn to dusk, the market Pass Desa Canggu (Pantai Batu Bolong St No.15) is a good example of a traditional Balinese market.
Nothing to do with the previous one and in the purest Canggu style, do not miss these others markets in Canggu:
- Samadi Bali Sunday Market. There you will find chemical-free, healthy and fresh products from local farmers. Good food and good vibes every Sunday from 9:00 to 14:00 at the doors of the Yoga Samadi Bali school. More info.
- Love anchor. Local and international clothing brands and all kinds of souvenirs from Bali. Located in the heart of Canggu this bazaar is open every day from 9am to 11pm. More info.
- Old Man’s Market. On the last Saturday of each month, from 8:00 to 15:00, local designers who sell their creations of clothing, jewelry and other accessories meet at the famous Old Man’s. There you will also find a small section where local farmers sell their fresh produce, as well as delicious homemade sandwiches and desserts.
11. Yes, it is true, Canggu is not Ubud … but one of the many things I like about Bali is that normally you do not have to look too much to meet beautiful rice terraces. Put the bike and the chaos of the road aside for a while and enjoy the lush green fields which can still be found in Canggu.
12. Go to a coworking space. If you are on vacation it is quite likely that you are not interested in anything to continue reading, but if you are one of the many digital nomads, then you will be happy to discover great places to do it in Canggu. In addition to comfortable and beautiful coffee shops with free wifi where you can have a delicious coffee while you work, some of the Work spaces favorites among digital nomads open 24/7 are:
- Canggu Outpost. Probably the best place in Canggu to be fully productive in front of your computer 24 hours a day. More info.
- Tropical Nomad. Very close to the famous shortcut, which we have talked about a little above, this coworking space is super instagrammable. So in addition to working, you can take the opportunity to share a few photos and show off your workplace. More info.
- Dojo. With its inviting swimming pool and Echo Beach just 100 meters away, it will be difficult for more than one to concentrate on one of Canggu’s legendary workspaces. More info.
13. Work or pleasure … whatever the reason that has brought you to Canggu, give your body and mind a break while enjoying a relaxing balinese massage in one of the many spas that you will find scattered around its streets. Without a doubt one of the best things to do in Canggu.
14. Meet the animated Canggu nightlife. “Relax by day, animal party by night” could be the perfect summary to explain to a newcomer how things work in this part of the island. Week starts in Luigi’s Hot Pizza, with its lively, if brief, Monday party. Skateboard and beer on Pretty poison every Tuesday and Thursday. Mythical Wednesdays of Old Man’s and Friday at the super cool beach club The Lawn. After a week with so much movement … the best thing is to rest during the weekend! 😉
15. Nothing better to end this list of the best things to see and do in Canggu than to encourage you, after a few intense days, to contribute a grain of sand and contribute to making our beloved planet a better and cleaner place . Join the Ocean Mimic movement and their battle to end plastic and garbage on the beaches of Bali. More information here.
As you can see, in Canggu there is no humane way to have a bad time … I know people who came only for a few days and stayed for months! These are the 15 best things to see and do in CangguWhich one motivates you the most? Do you know other places to visit?
|Save on your trip|
|Compare and get flights cheap here|
|Finds accommodation at the best prices here|
|Sign up for Airbnb and get up 40 € discount here|
|Reservation activities and excursions in Spanish here|
|Hire the travel insurance IATI with a 5% discount here|
|Reserve the transfers from the airport here|
|Find out how to take money out abroad without commissions here|
|Buy one SIM card with discount to travel with the internet here|
|The best books and travel guides here|
|All our articles about Indonesia|