Wow. This is the only thing we could say when we arrived from trip to Hong Kong. All those lights, the skyscrapers, signs in Chinese… it was like being in another world! Although the hours that separated us from Manila, the Philippines, and Southeast Asia were only 2, the difference was noticeable and we already realized that what was beginning was going to be totally different. Come on, the trip to China was milk and here we are going to tell you 25 things that see and do in Hong Kong.
* At the end of the article we leave you a lot useful information to plan your trip to Hong Kong in the best way.
1. Approach the Avenue of stars, a street in the purest style of the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where great Chinese artists are paid tribute. Here, for example, you can see the footprints of Jackie Chan and take a photo with the statue of Bruce Lee.
2. Come back here at night: it is one of the best places to enjoy the “Symphony of the light”, a sound and light show in which the entire city seems to participate. It takes place every night at 8:00 p.m. and lasts about 10 minutes. Being able to enjoy the incredible skyline of the city while “coming to life” is one of the best things to do in Hong Kong!
* Do you want an even more special experience? Live the show in the Bay itself from a traditional boat. Reserve your place here.
3. Nathan Road It is the commercial artery of Kowloon, we recommend you walk through it and let yourself be guided by your instincts. It seems he hardly ever sleeps (Nathan Road, not your instinct XD).
4. The area of Lai Kwai FongAlways lively, it is perfect for having a beer or a cocktail before or after dinner.
5. You can’t go to Hong Kong and not gorge yourself on one of its specialties: Dim sum! There are many restaurants where you can try them, some of the best are in One Dim Sum Chinese. In this post we tell you other restaurants where to eat in Hong Kong.
6. After so much steel jungle your body may ask you for some relaxation, then go to the kowloon park, where you can disconnect, surround yourself with greenery, watch the old people practice tai chi and even take a bath in their public pool. Curiosity: here until 1987 arose the old neighborhood of Kowloon, which, at that time, was one of the most dangerous places on earth … a true lawless city where not even the cops dared to enter. Here you have more info about the history of that walled city …
7. If you prefer the pool Beach, no matter what: you are on an island! Some of the most recommended are South Bay or Stanley Beach.
8. Hong Kong has a super interesting food scene, and good news: here’s one of the Cheapest Michelin star restaurants in the world. Is called Tim ho wan (Try the pork and shrimp dumplings and the BBQ pork stuffed buns.) A dinner for two costs less than € 20 (and we put on our boots).
9. If like us you are a fan of Chinese temples, you cannot miss the Wong Tai Sin Temple, one of the most important in the city, and the Man Mo Temple, one of the oldest in Hong Kong.
10. Get on the Victoria Peak: Watching the sunset from up there, while hundreds, thousands of skyscrapers rise in front of it, is one of the best experiences to live in Hong Kong. How to get? Take the cable car! When we went at night he started to do some scratching, you are warned.
Tired? Courage: you have to discover a few more things to see and do in Hong Kong!
11. A few years ago no one knew or went to Choi Hung Estate, but then instagram came and someone realized that this colorful building would look great in their gallery … Today it is one of the most visited (and photographed) places in the city!
12. Same speech for him Yik Cheong Building (Monster Building), a building full, full, full of little apartments and that became famous when appearing in movies like Ghost in the Shell. A photo here and likes to tip XD shovel
13. Take a walk around the Ladies Market, the most frequented market in Hong Kong, where you can find everything (from bags to fish soups hehe). Open until 11pm. Don’t forget to haggle!
14. Another recommended market is the Temple street, very, very crowded and full of personality.
15. Treat yourself and make a Victoria Bay cruise, in the traditional Chinese junk. It is best to do it at dusk or at night, when the lights of the city paint all the water in thousands of colors. It is one of the best things to do in Hong Kong. You can reserve your place here.
16. Although if the budget does not give you that much, there is a much cheaper option (although nothing romantic hehe). We talk about ferry (Star Ferry). Tickets for cross from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island They are only worth 2.7 HKD (about € 0.30). The trip lasts 10 minutes.
17. Do you know that Hong Kong is longest escalator in the world? You have to take it! It is located between Central and Mid Levels and measures about 800 meters. It is not actually a staircase, it is more of a flight of different stairs. The entire journey takes about 20 minutes.
18. An original way to visit the city is riding in one of its double-decker trams. If it’s free, get in the first row on the top floor: views guaranteed. The ticket costs less than € 0.50!
19. The Nan Lian Garden it is one of the most beautiful and relaxing areas of the city. There is also the Chi Lin Monastery, a set of Buddhist temples that will abstract you from the madness and traffic of the city.
20. A neighborhood that we loved was SohoIt has a super interesting cosmopolitan atmosphere and full of bars and restaurants. Too bad it is full of slopes and stairs XD.
21. The neighborhood of Mong kok It is also very worthwhile, it is the most commercial part of the city, where you will be surrounded by people, neon lights and shopping centers.
22. The best excursion in Hong Kong is the Tian Tian Big Buddha, on the lantau island. You can go quietly on your own, taking the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, which, by the way, has sublime views. You will have the option of getting on a normal cable car, or one with a glass floor! This pack includes the cable car, unlimited buses in Lantau and a boat trip through the fishing village of Tai O.
23. And of course, take advantage of the fact that you are on the island to know Hong Kong Disneyland.
24. If you have more time, consider changing the island and visiting Macau, or the island-casino as some call it. On our first trip we did not go, but when we returned to Hong Kong we did not miss the opportunity and we went to spend a day in Macau and it was cool! This mix between China, Portugal and Las Vegas is extremely rare but it seems to us a curious place that deserves a visit! We tell you how to go from Hong Kong to Macau.
25. Returns… Hong Kong is impossible to discover in a single trip!
Having visited Hong Kong for 4 days it was time to go to China, but of course… that’s another story! Do you know more things to see and do in Hong Kong? Leave us a comment 🙂
|Save on your trip|
|Compare and get flights cheap here|
|Finds accommodation at the best prices here|
|Sign up for Airbnb and get up € 40 discount here|
|Reservation activities and excursions Spanish here or here|
|Hire the travel insurance IATI with a 5% discount here|
|Reserve the transfers from the airport here|
|Find out how to take money out abroad without commissions here|
|Buy one SIM card with discount to travel with the internet here|
|Rent a car with the best offers here|
|The best books and travel guides here|
|All our articles about Hong Kong|