We refer to the Neapolitan coffee maker, also known as cucumella.
What Is A Neapolitan Coffee Maker?
It is a coffee maker with two bodies separated by a double filter. The lower part contains the water. When boiling begins, the coffee maker is turned over, so that the waterfalls through the filter that contains the coffee.
Requires medium to dark roast and medium ground coffee. Between 7 and 10 grams per cup.
It is unknown who first designed the Neapolitan coffee maker, but there are written proofs of instructions on how to make this coffee dating back to 1691.
Despite its name, it is a French invention.
This coffee machine consists of 2 screw-on pieces that have a filter at the end of each one with a small hole where the coffee can be placed on one of the sides.
Other models consist of the two main screw-in pieces and a third that is inserted into the lower piece. This has a double filter, one at the base of the container and the other in the form of a lid.
It is generally made of stainless steel, and today, although it can still be purchased, it is not widely used.
The Neapolitan coffee machine is based on the principle of gravity filtration which is slower and produces denser coffee.
It works in the following way; After putting water in one of the end containers and the ground coffee in the middle one, bring it to a boil.
When this point is reached, the coffee maker is turned over and waits for all the water to fall through gravity to what is now the lower part.
- The coffee maker is disassembled and the necessary water is put in the lower container that is distinguished by not having a spout for serving.
- The coffee is placed in the perforated tank and the filter is screwed on top. They will put from 5 to 6 grams of coffee per cup, medium ground since the fine water will pass very quickly and we will lose the properties of the coffee; and with the thickness, it will take time to pass the coffee it will become bitter.
- Put the coffee pot on the fire or the heat source with the container that contains the water closest to the fire, and bring the water to a boil.
- The water will boil when a trickle of steam comes out of the hole. Remove the machine from the heat and, taking it by the two handles, turn it over with a continuous movement so that the water will go down through the filter with the coffee and will be collected in the lower tank. This operation takes a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, we will check that all the water has filtered into what is now the lower container and we serve.
Top 3 Best Neapolitan Coffee Maker[wptb id=2375]
A screw-on filter is located in the center of both, which is where the ground coffee is placed. The three pieces are twisted and remain as a single piece, similar in appearance, as we have already said, to that of the Italian mochas or coffee makers of all life.
Many Neapolitan coffee machines have a built-in lid with a knob for gripping it. In these cases, we must point out that the lid can be placed on either end of the coffee maker since both are the same: both need to be placed as the base of the coffee maker at some point in the brewing procedure (we will see this better later on) ).
The coffee Neapolitan is strong, tasty, dense, intense flavor, and light body. These qualities come from the extreme slowness with which the filtering process develops. It is usually consumed in small cups (the same ones that would be used for an espresso coffee).
Advantages: This system provides a very aromatic coffee with a round flavour. Very consistent and slow filter coffee.
Disadvantages: Needs supervision to turn it around.
- Use of mineral water with weak mineralization, always fresh and not calcareous, up to the level of the container without spout.
- The ground coffee powder should be medium. If the coffee is ground too coarsely, this can be remedied by compacting it a little harder.
- Do not squeeze the coffee excessively, so as not to block the passage of water.
- After use, carefully rinse all parts of the coffee maker and always check that none of its parts are clogged
- Clean the coffee maker without soap and dry it properly so that fungi do not proliferate.